Plant Metallurgist Summary
Plant Metallurgist Engineer Job Opening in Detroit, Michigan. A precision machine parts supplier for the automotive industry currently seeks a Plant Metallurgist Engineer in Detroit, Michigan. This Detroit, Michigan company produces solid steel blanks and castings as well as medium to high volume forgings for various jobs. The company handles primarily transmission, engine, and powertrain & chassis while operating out of greater Detroit, Michigan.
Detroit Plant Metallurgist Overview:
For this job, the Plant Metallurgist Engineer ensures that the Detroit facility’s metallurgical systems are in line with standards in order to guarantee product quality as well as environmental quality and integrity to build the best relationship and reputation with customers and the community.
Detroit Plant Metallurgist Job Opening
- The Plant Metallurgist Engineer must institute and execute environmental policies and procedures to conform with the requisite ISO standards.
- Train furnaces and heat treat technicians and ensure the day to day operations follow the standards set forth.
- The Plant Metallurgist Engineer must compile regular reports on customer complaints and environmental related issues for the management reviews process.
- Record all non-conforming materials and work with suppliers to institute long-term solutions.
- Perform designed jobs when required by the Detroit, Michigan Plant Manager.
- Field customer questions and concerns, using their feedback to apply corrective action across teams as necessary.
- Acquire and analyze business and technical data from publications and participation in trade organizations to keep management informed of industry trends.
- The Plant Metallurgist Engineer must find solutions and apply corrective action with the appropriate departments and teams, following through to ensure rectification.
- Keep all resources needed for quality verification activities readily available.
- The Plant Metallurgist Engineer must formulate, execute, and keep up an environmental operating system.
- Ensure that all Detroit, Michigan plant safety and housekeeping rules are followed.
- Partner with planning and design staff to develop tooling and product design to guarantee the most efficient production process.
- Work with vendors to identify the ideal product specifications; then organize the acquisition of equipment, materials, and parts; and ensures products meet specifications.
- Develop manufacturing forecasts by utilizing statistical methods.
- Estimate the costs of manufacturing and ensure feasibility.
- Plan and implement strategies to improve productivity and efficiency.
- Create GP-3 and ISIR submissions.
- Utilize ANSI Y-14.5 Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (GD&T) in CAD/CAM part designs.
- Work with other engineers and management to establish advanced quality engineering standards and procedures.
- The Plant Metallurgist Engineer must spearhead product development and implementation at the Detroit, Michigan site for various jobs.
- Document all (Engineering Change Notification) ECN’s for both new and existing product lines and processes.
- Suggest and perform research programs related to corporate objectives.
- Determine objectives and create strategies to meet those goals.
- Acquire materials and equipment for experimental projects and establish a process to evaluate the experiment.
- Relay information and results from research projects to peers in the company through regular reporting and oral communication
Plant Metallurgist Engineer (Detroit Area) Job Requirements:
- Bachelor’s degree in engineering with metallurgical job experience.
- Familiarity with the operations of a manufacturer for automotive applications.
- Direct job experience working under ISO 14001 based environmental systems for automotive OEMs.
- A deep understanding of manufacturing processes and a history of solving problems, utilizing statistical methods, ensuring quality production, and continually improving the process and products produces.
- Frequent physical activity for this job.
- Tolerance for a moderate level of noise relative to a manufacturing facility.
Job Postings expire in 30 days but feel free to upload your resume at any time as many of our job openings are not public.